Manchester bombing: 10 remain in critical condition

Ruben Ruiz
May 30, 2017

The Times published eight exclusive pictures, which were unsourced but appeared to be police photographs taken at the Manchester Arena, where 22 people while emerging from an Ariana Grande concert.

With the new arrest, the number of people arrested reached 10, of which two have been released without charge, police said.

Twelve of those injured were under 16, and the youngest killed was an eight-year-old girl. Their ages ranged from 18 to 38.

- A 23-year-old man is arrested by masked police in the Chorlton area of south Manchester near where Abedi is believed to have lived.

- In the early hours of the morning, a controlled explosion is carried out during a police search at a property in the Moss Side area of Manchester.

Among other information, American media were the first to report the name of the suspected bomber, Salman Abedi, and The New York Times ran a story including detailed images of forensics work at the scene of the attack.

"We take full responsibility for that and obviously regret that that happened", the secretary of state told reporters.

The father and younger brother of suicide bomber, Salman Abedi, have been arrested in Libya's capital city of Tripoli, while British police arrested a fifth person in connection with Monday's bombing.

Abedi's father Ramadan had sometimes performed the call to prayer at the mosque and his brother Ismael had been a volunteer.

"Clearly, this was a pretty sophisticated and powerful bomb", a high-ranking Western government official told NPR, explaining that officers believe Abedi received help with the attack.

Arsene Wenger: FA Cup win secures my future
Saturday's FA Cup triumph took Arsenal ahead of Manchester United as the most successful team in the history of the competition. It's for me afterwards to decide, if they want me, whether it's yes or no". "I am a forgiving man", he said .

Police Make Two More Arrests Over Manchester Bombing
We are thankful for the selfless service tonight of Manchester's first responders who rushed towards danger to help save lives. A minute's silence was observed in honour of the victims at a square in central Manchester and in other places in Britain.

Celtics' Thomas says hip surgery not top option
There was nearly too much historical context to dissect, and so James did what his instincts told him to do. Thomas says he told doctors that whatever happens, he needs to come back even better - "and I will".

"He made the connection straight away".

The U.S. newspaper's coverage of the bombing was "both comprehensive and responsible" and the paper has strict guidelines on how to cover sensitive stories, a spokeswoman for the newspaper said in a statement.

Twenty-three people are still receiving critical hospital care after the Manchester Arena suicide bombing.

"This will not change", she said.

Greater Manchester Chief Constable Ian Hopkins declined to comment on whether police had found the alleged maker of the explosive device, but the BBC reported that security services thought the bomb was too sophisticated for Abedi to have built by himself.

"This special relationship that exists between our two countries will certainly withstand this particular unfortunate event", he said.

"I think it's pretty disgusting", said Scott Lightfoot, a Manchester resident, speaking outside a train station in the city.

Meanwhile, the national-level campaigning for the June 8 general election resumed today after local level campaigns restarted yesterday, following suspension in the wake of the attack.

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn plans to use a speech Friday to link Britain's actions overseas to the increased extremist threat at home.

Other reports by GizPress

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER