Terror attacks on London Bridge and Borough Market leaves seven dead

Angie Massey
June 4, 2017

British police said they rushed to the historic bridge shortly after 10 p.m. Moments later, London police said officers were responding to reported stabbings at Borough Market, a busy area filled with bars and restaurants, where there were also reports of shots having been fired.

It was a Saturday night and the streets were filled with patrons who reportedly threw chairs, bottles and glasses at the attackers as they used knives to slash their way through crowds. BBC showed dozens of people, evidently caught up in the attack, being escorted through a police cordon with their hands on their heads.

Metropolitan Police Assistant Commissioner Mark Rowley said: "We are treating this as a terrorist incident".

The U.S. State Department condemned what it called "the cowardly attacks targeting innocent civilians" in a statement, and echoed Trump's readiness to provide any assistance that British authorities request.

The London ambulance service said at least 20 people had been taken to six hospitals across the city.

"We cannot and must not pretend that things can continue as they are", May said in a televised statement in front of her Downing Street office.

While the electoral campaign paused for several days after the attack on Manchester, local campaigning by political parties continued, with only the big campaign events suspended on Sunday, and only by the largest political parties, the Conservatives, Labour, the Liberal Democrats and the Scottish National Party.

Khan said some of the injured were in critical condition. I've been walking around for an hour and a half crying my eyes out.

The ministry condemned in the "strongest terms" the two terrorist incidents at London Bridge and Borough Market on Saturday.

At least 1000 injured in Turin stampede
Mario Mandzukic then scored a spectacular overhead equaliser for Juventus , which was eventually in vain. This Real Madrid squad have forever immortalised themselves for their glory in Cardiff .

Manchester Police release man arrested after concert blast
The deputy police chief of nearby Koblenz, Christoph Semmelrogge, said no suspicious objects were found at the venue. Twenty-two people, including seven children, were killed in the attack at a concert by USA singer Ariana Grande.

'Kiki' Mladenovic taking it to another level against Muguruza
Mladenovic is still affected on serve by her back troubles, and any slips against Muguruza on Sunday are likely to be punished. Witthoeft walked onto Court 3 about eight minutes after Pliskova, who gave the German a wry smile as she walked past her seat.

Police said the attackers were wearing suspected suicide vests, which were later found to be fake.

Another witness called Gerard said the suspects stabbed a series of people near Borough Market and shouted, "This is for Allah".

An elite SAS unit nicknamed "Blue Thunder" is believed to have landed by helicopter on London Bridge, following an attack which left at least seven people dead and 48 hurt. Three assailants were shot dead as armed police neutralised them within eight minutes of the attack.

She said it was a fast-moving investigation and her thoughts were with "those who are caught up in these awful events". Police officers yelled at people to run from the area. British Transport Police said one of its officers, among the first to arrive, took the attackers on armed only with his baton, and was seriously injured. Among the wounded were German, French and Spanish citizens, officials said.

"(The man) said he had been stabbed in the neck and I was holding his bandage and wound while he was talking to the police". "I don't know what to do".

It was the third major attack in Britain in the past three months.

Ken Chigbo told Sky News that the man quizzed him about the van he was using to move house and where he could get one for himself. It said the blasts were believed to be controlled explosions carried out by police. He said his family had abandoned plans to visit Manchester because of the attack on the Ariana Grande concert but were staying at a hotel close to where Saturday night's attack happened. Police tweeted a warning telling people in the area to run to safety, hide and then call police if it is safe to do so.

The threat level was last weekend lowered to the second highest category of severe, meaning an attack was judged "highly likely".

More as we have it.

Other reports by GizPress

Discuss This Article