Theresa May: support for Grenfell fire victims was 'not good enough'

Pauline Gross
June 20, 2017

West London film producer Nisha Parti, who has been helping victims in Kensington, said the cash is being given to those checking into hotels in the wake of Wednesday's blaze.

Condoling the incident earlier, Londor Mayor Sadiq Khan said, "The bad news, I'm afraid, is lots of people died in the fire".

Community groups have said warnings about poor fire safety have been ignored, and in the aftermath of the disaster, officials have failed to take care of those affected, they said.

Authorities increased the count Monday after spending the weekend working with families to identify all those who are missing and believed to have died inside the 24-story Grenfell Tower, as well as the five victims that have been formally identified, Metropolitan Police Commander Stuart Cundy told reporters.

June. 18: The Police has announced that the fifty-eight people who are still missing after the Grenfell Tower fire, are being presumed dead.

Grenfell Tower is the only high-rise building in the Lancaster West Estate, which comprises of 900 other apartments, split into smaller low-rise blocks.

The presumed death toll from the London tower block inferno jumped to 58 on Saturday as embattled Prime Minister Theresa May, accused of misreading the national mood over the tragedy, met survivors desperately seeking answers. The cause of the massive blaze is still under investigation, but anger has mounted in the community amid reports that the rain-screen cladding on the exterior of Grenfell Tower may have spread the flames.

Death toll in London tower fire rises to 58
Khan said images of the 1970's building being ravaged by fire "should be forever seared into our nation's collective memory". At least 30 people have been killed , hundreds of others have been left homeless and dozens of others are missing.

Ronaldo summoned to answer judge's questions on tax fraud
Portuguese sports daily A Bola had also claimed that Perez had already been informed of the 32-year-old's decision. Asked about potential clubs Ronaldo could join, Perez said: "I'm not contemplating Cristiano leaving".

Ex-sparring partner predicts 'easy' win for Mayweather in McGregor fight
White added: "I don't think it damages the brand or Conor McGregor at all, I think it actually elevates him". Ellerbe concluded: " Conor McGregor is a terrific guy, he's amusing as hell to me".

Two British ministers said Sunday that the new exterior cladding used in a renovation on Grenfell Tower may have been banned under United Kingdom building regulations.

"My understanding is that the cladding that was reported wasn't in accordance with United Kingdom building regulations", Hands told Sky News.

"Khan went on to call Wednesday's massive Grenfell Tower fire "a preventable accident that didn't need to happen" - and said the tragedy was "a effect of the mistakes and neglect from politicians from the council and from the government".

Mr Cundy added: "Sadly that work leads me to believe that the number of people missing, but as yet unaccounted for has risen from yesterday's figure of 58". Cundy said emergency workers have now reached the top of the tower.

A £5 million ($8.79m) fund has been set up for emergency supplies, food and clothing.

Police say the harrowing search for remains had been paused Friday because of safety concerns at the blacked tower but has resumed.

Other reports by GizPress

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER