'Nice remembers': Tributes flood Twitter to mark anniversary of terror attack

Pauline Gross
July 15, 2017

But in an emergency ruling responding to the Paris prosecutor's call for the magazine to be pulled from sale, the court said the pictures were "obscene for showing victims running away to try and escape death or about to die".

A lorry killed 86 people when it drove into crowds celebrating Bastille Day.

A victims' group has accused the magazine of morbid sensationalism. The prosecutor's office said a hearing was set for later in the day to get the publication dated Thursday July 13, 2017 withdrawn from newsstands.

The mayor of Nice, Christian Estrosi, also criticised Paris Match for publishing the images on the eve of the first anniversary of the attack.

A French journalist's union, SNJ, condemned the prosecutor's request, warning that it was a curb on press freedom.

Instead, it banned "any new publication", including online, of two images which the tribunal found were an attack "on human dignity".

Chelsea's Loftus-Cheek joins Crystal Palace on loan
Chelsea's Lofuts-Cheek, 21, becomes new Palace manager Frank de Boer's first signing since the Dutchman was appointed last month. The 21-year-old told Palace's official website: 'I had the option of coming here and I thought it would be great for me.

Venus Williams on verge of history in Wimbledon final vs. Garbine Muguruza
Williams also stopped Konta's bid to become the first woman from Britain in 40 years to win the country's Grand Slam tournament. In the semifinals Liu, from California, beat Sofya Lansere of Russian Federation 6-1, 6-3.

Afghan Robotics Team to Compete in US Despite Visa Drama
Afghanistan isn't one of the six countries targeted by President Trump's travel ban. The six member team arrived at the Kabul Airport on Thursday to a media storm.

French President Emmanuel Macron is now in Nice where a minute's silence has been held for those that were killed in a terror attack a year ago.

Managing Editor Olivier Royant said the magazine "aims to fight tooth and nail for the right of citizens, and first and foremost of victims, to know exactly what happened during the attack".

The images in question were taken from video surveillance cameras along the Promenade des Anglais, where a Tunisian jihadist plowed his truck into the crowd who had been watching the annual July 14th fireworks show.

Trump is due to leave at the conclusion of the ceremonies while Macron will head to Nice where he will take part in a ceremony to commemorate the victims of the deadly 2016 attack which left 86 people dead and more than 450 injured.

CCTV images of the attack were a controversial subject immediately after the murders.

Other reports by GizPress

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER