Police Release Final Text from Teen Killed in Cell Phone Charging Electrocution

Pauline Gross
July 17, 2017

Police have released the last photo a 14-year-old girl sent before she was electrocuted while texting in the bathtub in New Mexico.

The grieving grandmother then explained how there was a "burn mark" on Madison's hand from where she grabbed the phone, before adding she hopes it can be a lesson to others in future. She had plugged the cell phone in to charge and had continued to use it, sending the #text message included above.

Madison was at her father's house on July 9 when she was fatally electrocuted after touching a frayed extension cord she was using to charge her cell phone. The text, sent to a friend, contained a photo of an extension cord wrapped in a towel and read, "When you use and (SIC) extension cord so you can plug your phone in while you're in the bath".

When her father entered the bathroom of his New Mexico home, he found Madison unresponsive in the water, with her mobile phone plugged into a power point on the wall. The young girl was apparently unaware the cord had frayed, and the electrocution occurred when she touched that portion of the cord while she was still in the bath water. This type of outlet does not provide any protection in the event of an accident.

D'onta Foreman, Texans' third round pick, arrested in Austin
The former Longhorn star was arrested for marijuana possession of two ounces or less and unlawful carrying of a weapon. Houston Texans rookie running back D'Onta Foreman has been arrested on drug and weapons charges.

Indian-origin doctor finds 27 contact lenses in woman's eye in UK
Contact lenses, when kept in the eyes for too long or placed without cleaning, are prone to infections and other conditions. They were causing her discomfort, but the woman had thought it was caused by dry eye and old age, reported The Telegraph.

The Walking Dead showrunner and AMC address stuntman's 'tragic' death
Bernecker's IMDb page shows he has worked on several blockbuster movies, including " Logan " and "Fantastic Four". After the accident, production was suspended on the eighth season of The Walking Dead .

Coe's parents have agreed to release the photo she took just before she died, to raise awareness of the dangers that the combination of electricity, water and portable electronic devices can pose to people, especially teens who are the heaviest users of these devices.

Police officials said there is no evidence that her cell phone ever touched the water.

'We need to be aware.

Emergency personnel attempted life-saving measures at the scene, in the ambulance and at the hospital before she was pronounced dead. She just loved life, ' O'Guinn said. "She had such a huge heart".

Other reports by GizPress

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER