Italy drive-by attack targets immigrants

Ebony Scott
February 6, 2018

Hate crime struck Italy after a man opened fire on African migrants shooting down six people.

Migration is dominating public debate following the arrest on Saturday of a neo-Fascist man who injured six migrants in drive-by shootings fuelled by xenophobia. Italian city officials have confirmed the arrest of a 28-year-old suspect with no previous criminal record.

A video posted by the il Resto di Carlino newspaper later showed the suspect with an Italian flag draped over his shoulders being arrested by armed Carabinieri officers in the city center, near where he apparently fled from his vehicle on foot. Onlookers said he made a fascist salute before being handcuffed.

Her boyfriend told La Repubblica they were waiting at a bus station when he saw a man pointing something at them from a black auto. Seven people have been injured with one in serious condition and requiring surgery. Shortly after that another migrant and an African woman were also shot.

He had taken part in regional elections for the anti-immigration Northern League past year and reportedly made a fascist salute when he was captured.

Salvini told reporters Saturday at a campaign stop in Bologna that he would bring security to Italy.

PD leader Matteo Renzi called for calm. "But the state is stronger than him", he wrote on Facebook.

Prime minister Paolo Gentiloni pledged that hatred and violence "will not succeed in dividing us". "We will stop it together", he said.

Rose McGowan Cancels Public Appearances After Book Event Screaming Match
When you break it down, it is a much smaller population. "There's not a network here devoted to your f**king death". We are just a little over a month into 2018 and two trans people have already died from hate crimes.

Chelsea recruit reveals the driving force behind his exit from former club
Olivier Giroud has revealed his disappointment with Arsene Wenger following the signing of Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang. He told Telefoot: "A week before the end of the transfer window, I needed to hear his (Deschamps") opinion.

LeGarrette Blount takes amusing jab at Brett Favre over Super Bowl wins

The black auto Alfa Romeo of young man suspected of wounding several foreign nationals in a drive-by shooting, is blocked by police and Carabibieri enforcement at Macerata, on February 3, 2018. He was immediately handcuffed and taken away by the police.

Tensions in Macerata had risen last week following the gruesome discovery of Pamela Mastropietro's body.

He refused to talk to the police after his arrest. The suspect in the murder, Innocent Oseghale, was denied asylum in Italy, but remained in the country, according to the Guardian.

"What was this worm still doing in Italy?"

Whether the racial shooting was in response to the teenager's death or not is yet to be ascertained.

"The left has blood on its hands", he wrote.

Italy has been struggling with a huge immigration inflow for the last several years, with the majority of migrants coming across the Mediterranean in smugglers' boats. "It can spark violence", said Laura Boldrini, a leftist politician and the speaker of the lower house of parliament.

"What happened today in Macerata shows that inciting hatred and whitewashing fascism, as Salvini does, has consequences".

Other reports by GizPress

Discuss This Article