Lucasfilm Only Want Proven Directors For Future Star Wars Movies

Ruben Ruiz
June 21, 2018

After the disappointing box office of Solo: A Star Wars Story, a new report says Lucasfilm has put all future Star Wars Story standalone movies on hold.

The Hollywood Reporter reported in May that "Logan" director James Mangold was attached to write and direct a Boba Fett spin-off movie, and that an Obi-Wan movie was also in the works with Stephen Daldry in talks to direct.

Collider is reporting that Lucasfilm has decided that after the dismal performance of "Solo: A Star Wars Story" at the box office, that they are considering putting all future Star Wars spin-off movies on hold. Solo grossed only $85 million in its opening domestic box office weekend, going on to earn a domestic total of $192.8m so far, four weeks into its release.

Although those figures aren't bad compared to other movies at the same budget, Rogue One - the only other Star Wars Story to make it to movie theaters - opened at $155 million, almost double Solo, and pulled in $424 million domestically in a month. All that's known about this one is that it will explore new characters and new settings, expanding the Star Wars universe beyond the claustrophobic bounds of the other films in the franchise. Star Wars: Episode IX lost Colin Trevorrow after Lucasfilm and him "mutually chose to part ways" past year, and a similar story played out with Phil Lord and Christopher Miller on Solo.

Japanese World Cup Fans Clean Up The Stadium After Winning Against Colombia
Cisse however agrees that after five defeats in the six games featuring African teams, the hunt for glory could take some time . The country also made headlines for fans' tidiness at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

Uruguay vs Saudi Arabia | 20 Jun 2018
Uruguay's Martin Caceres in action against Saudi Arabia in the FIFA World Cup at Rostov Arena, Rostov-on-Don, Russia on Wednesday.

US, South Korea Call Off Joint Military Exercises
Since Trump's announcement , the Pentagon has not been able to provide an estimate of the cost of the annual military exercises. Other analysts critiqued the exercise suspension's wider ramifications, particularly its potential benefit to China.

The well-publicised firing of original Solo directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller meant extensive and hugely expensive reshoots took place. Weiss. These projects continue to be in development and are not part of the paused spinoffs we're hearing about.

Directed by J. J. Abrams, Star Wars: Episode IX is expected to feature the return of Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, and Adam Driver.

"These new films will be separate from both the episodic Skywalker saga and the recently-announced trilogy being developed by Rian Johnson, writer-director of Star Wars: The Last Jedi", a press release said at the time.

More as we hear it.

Other reports by GizPress

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER