Man dies after shark attack off Cape Cod

Pauline Gross
September 16, 2018

Rescuers were able to pull the man out of the water and tried to stop the bleeding.

August 17: Coast Guard Beach in Eastham and Coast Guard Beach in Truro are closed because of shark sightings.

Leslie Reynolds, chief ranger at the Cape Cod National Seashore, confirmed the incident that happened about 300 yards south of Newcomb Hollow Beach. It's not immediately clear the extent of the person's injuries.

They also encouraged beachgoers to be vigilant and obey signs at the beaches.

His death is the first fatal shark attack in the state in more than 80 years.

Wellfleet police Lt. Michael Hurley told The Associated Press that the victim was a man in his mid-20s, but his identity has not been disclosed.

Local fisherman and surfer Joe Booth said he was on the shore and witnessed the attack.

He said the man kicked at something behind him, and that there was flicker of a tail from the water.

IOS 12 release date: September 17
Once you download an app while it is in the offer, you won't be charged anything when you download it later. Some of my Keyboard Maestro macros have stopped working, and I haven't yet been able to figure out why.

Hurricane Florence: North Carolina residents urged to leave
Boarding up his home in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, Chris Pennington watched the forecasts and tried to decide when to leave. If it follows its most likely track, Florence will be the first major storm to make landfall so far north in the US.

FDA Considering Ban on Flavored E-cigarettes
They also ordered five e-cigarette brands, including vaping giant JUUL, to submit plans to address teen use of their products. Flavors other than menthol have been banned since 2009 in regular cigarettes to reduce their appeal to young people.

"I saw a worst nightmare unfold here", Booth said. "Right spot, wrong time, I guess".

The beach was closed to swimmers but the type of shark involved in the attack is not yet known.

His name had not yet been released to the public but the man's family were said to have been informed.

A 61-year-old NY man was severely injured on August 15 after fighting off a shark off Truro, about four miles north of Saturday's attack. He's now recovering in a Boston hospital.

The two legislators thanked the Wellfleet Fire and Police departments, the town's beach staff and bystanders "whose preparation and quick action provided help as soon as possible".

Beachgoers said the Wellfleet beach is popular with surfers, and with sunny skies and warm temperatures Saturday it was busy, even though the summer season was over and lifeguards were no longer on watch.

However, shark sightings around the Cape have reportedly been more frequent this year, leading to several beach closings. He was then transported to Cape Cod Hospital via ambulance, according to the Cape Cod National Park Service. "Encounters with sharks are rare, but please remain alert".

Other reports by GizPress

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER