Samsung faces lawsuit after Note 9 allegedly catches fire inside woman's purse

Angelica Greene
September 18, 2018

As reported Saturday by the New York Post, a New York real estate agent named Diane Chung earlier this month found her new Note 9 was getting "extremely hot". She is also seeking orders to bar Samsung from selling the Galaxy Note 9. It would appear that yet another Samsung flagship has taken the path of fire, as a Note 9 owner in NY claims their device suddenly went up in flames.

The lawsuit states that the woman was in an elevator on September 3 when she felt her phone hot after which she stopped using it and put it in her purse.

She put the bag on the floor and tried to empty it, burning her fingers in the process, the suit alleges.

According to the report, Chung further adds in the lawsuit that as soon as the elevator reached the lobby she threw her smartphone out while it was still burning. The handset allegedly didn't stop smoking until someone picked it up with a cloth and dropped it in a bucket of water. Samsung claims that the batteries of all smartphones post Note 9 undergo eight-point check. "Users do not have to worry about the batteries anymore".

Mike Zimmer has brutal quote about cutting struggling Vikings kicker
Still, Forbath made 89 percent of his kicks, even if his eight missed extra points with the Vikings maddened Zimmer. Kicker Daniel Carlson had two chances in overtime to put Minnesota ahead, but misfired on both field goal attempts.

Nomination of Trump's Supreme Court pick Kavanaugh thrown into crisis
Arizona Republican Senator Jeff Flake, who sits on the Senate Judiciary Committee, said Prof Ford's testimony should be heard. Kavanaugh was seen Monday morning arriving at the White House, which has stood by the judge in the face of the accusations.

More days of flooding ahead for Carolinas, surrounding states
More than 4,300 homes were damaged or destroyed in the storm and over 300 businesses faced the same fate, he said. Fresh evacuations were ordered further inland as rivers crested and spilled out of their banks.

Battery woes seem to back to haunt Samsung.

No, not the disastrous, exploding Galaxy Note 7, which Samsung recalled in 2016.

She explains the whole incident to be "traumatic", and mentions in the lawsuit that the fire ruined everything that was inside her bag. Samsung are of course taking the matter seriously and are investigating the incident even though it is just a single isolated incident - the Galaxy Note7 fiasco did have to start somewhere after all. Samsung's other 2018 flagship smartphones, Samsung Galaxy S9 + and Samsung Galaxy S9, offer 3500 and 3300 battery capacity respectively. The Galaxy Note 9 has been launched in a number of markets around the world including India and has since received widespread praise.

In an email to PCMag, Samsung said it's looking into the incident.

Other reports by GizPress

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER