Google+ Shutting Down Because It Isn’t Worth Maintaining

Angelica Greene
October 9, 2018

The Wall Street Journal reported earlier that Google had opted not to disclose the issue in a bid to avoid a regulatory backlash, citing unnamed sources and internal documents.

The private data of almost half a million Google+ users was exposed to third-party developers, and Google failed to notify anyone. In other words, when an app requests access to Google account data, multiple dialog boxes pop up, each with a request for a particular permission, rather than one large dialog box with all the requested permissions (i.e. location, contacts, calendars) lumped together.

Those who are very panicked may find solace in the fact that Google did state that the firm only keeps API log data for two weeks.

The report alleges that the bug became active in 2015, only being discovered by Google and shut down in March of this year.

Google said it couldn't determine which users were impacted by this bug because the API was created to keep logs for only two weeks, and it didn't have access to historical data longer than that.

Google has chose to shut down its social media website Google+ after a massive data breach which potentially exposed data of over 500,000 users. "Whenever user data may have been affected, we go beyond our legal requirements and apply several criteria focused on our users in determining whether to provide notice".

Up to 500,000 people may have been affected by the flaw, which allowed hundreds of apps to access data including people's jobs, ages and location information.

Lewis Hamilton leads the way in first practice at Japanese Grand Prix
Jean Todt, the Ferrari team boss at the time and now the FIA president, recalls that moment as his best in the sport. The two drivers were summoned to see the stewards to discuss the incident, where officials handed Gasly a reprimand.

Liverpool vs. Manchester City - Football Match Report
As it was we didn't score and they could have got a goal so we had to stay switched on. So far this season they have played 24 games in all competitions and scored nine.

Turkey calls in Saudi envoy over missing journalist case
It was the brainchild of 32-year-old Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman , heir apparent of the world's largest oil exporter. Similarly, Saudi activist Loujain al-Hathloul was arrested in the UAE and returned to Saudi Arabia earlier this year.

So the company felt that the site simply wasn't worth maintaining between its minimal traffic and its security threats, hence the ten-month period for users to migrate whatever data they need before it's taken offline in August 2019.

Apps will be required to inform users what data they will have access to.

For now, though, Google will continue supporting Google+ for businesses.

Android data access is being restricted to app developers.

These actions are only the beginning, with Google advising they will roll out additional controls and update their policies across more APIs in the coming months.

The internet giant found the flaw in March during an extensive privacy and security review, Ben Smith, Google vice president of engineering, said in the statement.

Apps requesting user data in SMS "only an app that you've selected as your default app for making calls or text messages will be able to make these requests". Please be aware that you will lose access to things like Google Photos, Gmail, Google Drive and other Google services.

Other reports by GizPress

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER